“… the best and largest harbour in all the Land.”
– John Whitbourne, 1620
Trinity has been a viable North Atlantic community for hundreds of years. Its defensible harbour, with abundant room for the ships of the day and shores well suited for outbuildings, wharves and fish-flakes, made it ideal for the early migratory fishery. Later merchants from Poole, England, made Trinity the base for a new-world fishery.
During the 1720’s Trinity was home to about 30 permanent families and host to 200-300 seasonal fishermen per year. By 1869 the population peaked at more than 800 people. Until recently the inshore, Grand Bank, and Labrador fisheries sustained the community. Lumbering, coopering, shipbuilding, and other trades have also been prominent.
The preservation of Trinity’s cultural and built heritage has made it, perhaps, the most notable “heritage community” in the province of Newfoundland. Trinitarians play host to thousands of visitors each year.